Thursday, October 16, 2008

Furl Girl

While on a work trip out to S.L.C. this past spring I was able to meet Joni (Fly Goddess) and her husband Alan (Mojorizing) on the run off swelled banks of the Middle Provo River. What we missed in fishing due to high raging water we made up in gear evaluations and getting to know one another. Within minutes Joni placed two carefully furled leaders into my hands to try.


Her masterful work on these leaders is clearly evident and after fishing them and a few more that I asked her to furl up I am sold. A simple treatment of running the leader through a Mucillin pad and these leaders will float for hours.

Furled leaders are a hand in hand match with fiberglass fly rods. While these might not work for all fly fishing applications, I've found that they are just a sheer pleasure to fish with dry flies. During a week in Wyoming I used Joni's furled leaders in lengths of 5' to 6', with a section of tippet tied to the small metal ring, and tossed dry flies and hoppers with complete ease.

Joni PM'ed me some information on her furled leaders which is posted below:

I have three lengths at this time. 5', 5 1/2' and 6'. I make them for 2 wt to 8 wt. Material, I use Uni 6/0, Uni Mono .004, Coats and Clarks Nylon .005, and 2lb mono or fluorocarbon. I have two size tippet rings, a 2mm and a 3mm, but I can also do a shorb loop. I also add one full strand of KEVLAR for strength and sink on requested leaders. My 5' comes in a 2 part stage which recently I added a third for more of a gradual tapper. My 5 1/2' and 6' are three stage. Colors, anything you want. I like to keep muted colors, but with the tippet I don't think it is an issue. I can also make them with the first section in a bright color for an indicator. I fish these for everything. Nymphing and dries. They hold indicators beautifully. Plus they last as long as you take care of them and remove any knots plus clean and treat.

If you are interested in having Joni furl you up a couple of leaders please contact her at flygoddess@gmail.com. You will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

BLUEANGLER said...

Those furled leaders are just awesome! I have a similar one from flyshop. As mentioned, they float great, the best part to me is they feel like the extend of flyline, cast with tremendous fine accuracy and smooth energy transition.I love furled leader when fish dryflies! Good one Cameron!