Sunday, October 26, 2008

Size 22

Over the past ten years I've slowly been working on my "midge game". It started while living in Colorado fishing a tiny Miracle Midge on the Cache la Poudre River and then continued as I started fishing rivers where midges work every day of the year.


Now I keep two C&F boxes stocked with midges in various colors, styles, and sizes. Well, as long as they are size 22 and smaller. I admit that it is weird when a size 18 nymph seems to big but in some places these fish will not even look at your fly unless it is the correct size and color.

Without a doubt fishing midge patterns on light tippets is made better by using fiberglass fly rods. They cushion the light tippets with complete flex but these rods also provide the needed leverage to move a heavy trout away from an undercut or rock that would end a spirited battle.

3 comments:

BLUEANGLER said...

I think fishing with those tiny flies really can feel the essential of fly fishing... : ) remind me the #20 club. ha, I do feel tired of bass fishing ... I still keep those amazingly tiny bitty flies you gave me last year!

flyfishingunlimited said...

Great looking flies and challenging fishing technique... Great post!

Cameron Mortenson said...

Yes...fishing these flies is a bit challenging since the advantage is to the fish start to finish. I certainly don't mind losing fish on light tippets and small flies. It is all part of the process. I actually have more hooks come loose or bend open than anything else. Tippets hardly ever break when fishing fiberglass.