Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chasing Chum

Mike McCreary (tonemike) from the Fiberglass Flyrodders site posted a few photos of a father and son trip to the Skykomish River and I knew I had to share this one here.


Mike breaks down his salmon fly gear down too.

"I have two old System2 8/9 reels spooled with type 5 sink tips so I can get down properly. Then I use my special chum fly. I start out with a 5x strong #6 nymph hook (fairly short shank or you'll straighten 'em out). Then I tie in a short marabou tail and then tie on medium bead chain eyes on the middle of the hook (so it'll ride bend back and decrease you fair hook to snag ratio by 50%). Then I wrap the body up with chenile (krystal chenile or regular medium chenile are both fine) and that's all there is to it. The fly ought to be chartreuse at first light, and when it gets brighter, I'll switch to hot pink or pink and chartreuse. My rods are a stout System 11, a new 8'6" 9wt Fenwick, and a couple of plastic rods as well. An older Lamiglas (G-1000 series) and a tried and true Fenwick HMG."

Great photo Mike. The smiles in this photograph tell the whole story.

4 comments:

cofisher said...

Great photo. Isn't this what it's all about...good job Mike.

Cameron Mortenson said...

Howard...it truly is what it is all about.

cofisher said...

Cam, I also thought it nice for Mike's son to take his dad fishing. I hope Mike paid attention

Cameron Mortenson said...

I can't wait until Hadley is old enough to take me fishing!