Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Spooled and Schooled To Start 2009!

It's a little embarrassing that it wasn't until last week that I finally went fly fishing in the new year. My resolution for 2009 is to "Fish Local" and the Saluda River is a mere ten minutes from the office. After years of taking day long road trips to North Carolina for a trout fix I've decided to spend the new year exploring the local waters for trout, bass, bream, stripers, and anything else that will snatch a fly.


Gear of the day was the newly acquired Heddon Superlative #770 matched with a J.W. Young Condex and a 5DT line. Splendid. I am really impressed with this Heddon and the faux bamboo look is so beautiful. As much as I like the contemporary glass out there...admittedly I am still a push over for vintage sticks.


The first trout that I hooked up with ran me downriver causing the old clicker reel to scream and the rod bent double under the weight of a sixteen plus inch rainbow trout and the heavy current. I about got spooled but ultimately was left schooled when the fly pulled free after a five minute fight. I did however pick up a few smaller trout which got the skunk off.


Did I mention that it was a little cold? Started the morning with a few snowflakes in the air and the rest of the day chipping the guides free of ice. Not a usual occurrence when fly fishing in the "Dirty".


Large heavy bead head nymphs in shades of green were the ticket. Peacock herl is always a favorite on this river and green dubbing worked too.

It was really nice getting acquainted with this river and getting schooled by the holdover rainbow left a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

6 comments:

flynbird said...

Hold-overs are always a pleasant surprise. Getting whooped use to tick me off, when I was younger, but as I am "aging" it seems to make me giggle. Funny. Great story Cam.

Cameron Mortenson said...

Thom...I was the same way...but the last few years I am much more easy going about. Getting schooled like that on the FIRST FISH of 2009 put it into perspective that it is just a game. Nice to get whooped sometimes. HA...

cofisher said...

It is a little embarrassing when the temps are almost always in the 70s!

Seriously, that looks like a fun trip even though you got schooled and had to keep your eyes pealed for 'gators. I'd sure like to see some more pictures of those waters.

Cameron Mortenson said...

Howard...alligators be damned! I'm fishing this river this summer. I'm starting to put together gear for the stripers this spring/summer.

BLUEANGLER said...

That's awesome! Cameron.

Fish local!
Cool fly and cool set up!

dsflyfishing said...

Nice looking rod - I particularly like the shot with the icy guide!