Wednesday, January 27, 2010

First Trip of 2010 and Skunked!

Last week I was able to steal away for a couple of hours to the Saluda River which has been running fast all winter with huge releases. I was hoping that 700 CFS would be manageable but found it to dicey to try and cross the river to access a few of the runs that I really like to fish.

It always strikes me as weird to be trout fishing in a river with Spanish Moss draped off of the trees.

The flies for the day were heavy but still couldn't get them down deep enough through the fast water.

A wading staff was essential just to get to the couple places I did wade to. This was my first trip out with the No-Float Stix and I was very impressed.

I fished the South Fork Rod Company "456 Prototype". I am really liking this rod with a 5DT line on it. I want to put a good fish on it since it seems like a rod that will bend into the cork.

At least on a high water day you can mess around with the camera if nothing else, eh?

Please SCE&G...let the water flows come down! Over 12,000 CFS as I post this and I need to touch a few trout awfully bad.

2 comments:

BLUEANGLER said...

I understand your pain! Cameron,

The river here is super super high also... haven't wet a line for 2 months already... but, I am glad you tried! : )

flyfishingunlimited said...

Hey Cam,

At least you can flyfish in January... I can only ice-fish right now ;-)