Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hardy Glass, Small Flies, and Big Trout

I finally found a day to sneak away to North Carolina to go fly fishing with a couple of friends. Winter fishing on the Davidson River is something that I really enjoy. Tiny flies and the prospect of big fish make the three hour there and back worth it.

I spent the better part of the day fishing the Hardy "Glass Test" four weight with a newly acquired Hardy Featherweight reel. In my mind this Hardy fly rod didn't look right until there was a Hardy reel hanging off of it too.

As typical when fishing the Davidson River it was all about midges, a bit of weight, and picking apart likely spots in the river.

This brown trout took a size 22 brown WD-40 fished deep and he made my day.

There are few things as stunning as a large brown trout with golden flanks splattered with black ink spots.

For all my Hardy peeps out there. The "Glass Test" can get it done.

After years of not worrying about lunch or even carrying water with me on trips it's been great making a point to enjoy a well thought out lunch. Warm soup and a sandwich were welcome after hours of standing in the cold.

This was the first trip with my Goertzen Adventure Equipment Fly Fishing Lanyard and I am really impressed. These lanyards have several genius features and are very comfortable to wear all day. The Recycled Waders Messenger Creel has moved to the front of the gear bag carry options since I am able to carry fly and camera gear with room to spare.

About the time the sun was starting it's way behind the mountains we were packed and heading home. An enjoyable day away and so nice to touch the first trout of the new year. More trips to follow!

7 comments:

CoreyK said...

Nice fish and it looks like a beautiful day!

Cameron Mortenson said...

CK...thanks. It was great getting out. I'm looking forward to more trips coming up...maybe to Utah too. (fingers crossed)

Anonymous said...

be careful that bag int waterproof ,keep your camera in something waterproof brother .I have one of there bags it is nice but not water proof !

The Jersey Angler said...

The Davidson is an awesome river! Even though I live in NJ, I put in about 10-15 days on that river a year. I have family that lives in the area so I am done there quite a bit.

Cameron Mortenson said...

the nutman...I am very careful. I've been wading with my Nikon DSLR for four years now and always nervous it might end up in the drink. The R.W. Messenger Creel isn't waterproof but very water resistant if nothing else.

The Jersey Angler...send me a message next time you'll be down and we'll link up. The Davidson River is a short enough drive that I do frequent day trips in the winter/spring.

Unknown said...

Cameron,

Have you had any chance to use the Hardy rod with dries yet? I wonder how it would be in a wind. I gather slower rods cope better in wind? I'm after a new 4# myself?

www.smallstreambrowntroutfishing.blogspot.com

Cameron Mortenson said...

Richard...it's works nicely with dry flies and soft hackles. What is your email address? There are some other four weight options as well that are excellent to consider. Email me at thefiberglassmanifesto@gmail.com.