Tuesday, February 23, 2010

T.F.M. Spotting - Castingoutloud.com

Robert McFarlane of www.castingoutloud.com sent along a snap shot representing his new T.F.M. t-shirt and explained his background with fiberglass fly rods. This is the third submission for the month of February in the T.F.M. Spotting Photo Contest.

Good read and I like his ethos "NO EXCUSES, GO FISHING".

"My experience with Fiberglass started with a hand-me-down Shakespeare with a Pflueger Medalist reel that I used for Atlantic Salmon fishing on the East Coast. At the time Boron was just coming on the market with rods by Fenwick and others."


"I left New Brunswick and my fly gear behind in 1988 and did not return to the sport until 1999, almost 12 years later. When I did return the rods where almost all graphite and focus was on faster is better. I was never able to feel the comfort I had with my old glass rod until a return trip to New Brunswick in 2001 when I saw my old Shakespeare nailed to the guides shack on the Miramachi River. “That is it!” I thought that is the feel I am missing in my casting. When I returned to Toronto I got on the ebay and searched out old fiberglass rods. I found a Lamiglas blank with all the components for a build and won it for $85 USD from the seller. I never got to the project so I handed it over to a local builder and had it finished for $100 CAD. I ended up with a sweet little rod that looks and feels like a poor mans cane. It is a true joy to cast and catch fish with."

Check out Robert's blog, forum, and more at www.castingoutloud.com.

No comments: