Tuesday, August 31, 2010

T.F.M. Spotting - Riki Sultan Hunting

 Riki Rahman is not surprisingly back again with another well done T.F.M. Spotting Photo Contest entry with a Sultan caught on his McFarland Spruce Creek which as he writes it's taken him some time to understand the "semi-parabolic" feel.  It ooks like it's worked itself out with practice, a few fly line changes, and time on the water.

When I first introduced to the eight foot "Semi-Parabolic" five weight Spruce Creek by Mike McFarland two years back I really didn't have any idea what it was. All I wanted was simply a rod that can cast like my seven foot Phillipson Master but built by Mike.  I am a huge fan of his rods and work.  Being the religiously thrill-seeking person I am, I opted for it and told Mike to work on it.  I just wanna see whats this "semi-parabolic" is all about.

Fast forward two years and I was still whining over this one.  It was a "moody" rod and I aptly named it "The Widow".  Casting it was not a breeze and the leader would never open up like a dream.  I had tried lines from all premium makes and models and I even went to the extent of matching up several reels with it but to no avail. This rod was superior in accuracy in close-counter presentation but sucked at further ones.  I was never able to properly cast a fly further than fifty feet.  If I forced it I'll be rewarded with a bundled up leader or a string of irreversible wind knots.  As far as I'm concerned, this "semi-para" was a catastrophe and I've yet to reach a proper level of a casting prowess.  Any other way, this rod has become my least favorite - hence the insignificant catch list under its belt.


But in other ways it is a magnificent rod.  Anyone who has ever seen Mike's work wouldn't disagree with me. And despite all the issues, I do love the rod. A lite-red blank with a color-matched agate stripper, plus the birdseye reel seat and this is one beautiful girl.  So I need to work harder to make it work on my hands.  I redid the grip making it tad smaller.  Then changed the originally matched Tibor Tailwater reel to Abel Super 3N.  Next, I installed the only line I hadn't tried on it, a five weight Aquanova High Floating Series 99.  Why? Because many friends said this was the most friendliest of all fly lines and once everything was setup off we went to a familiar pond.

True to the words, the rod somehow reformed.  I'm sure the reel and grip selection contributed to the success but what I do know, the line made it all happen.  It performs exceptionally well with the 'semi-para' and it is really a "friendly" line.  It really does help the rod and my casting quite a lot.  Now I can present a dry as far as ninety feet without any effort at all.  The casting is much easier and more fun.  The bigger Sultans who prowl eighty feet away and right under the tree branches is not an impossible task anymore.  The day ended with me cuddling a six pound beast who almost spooled me and stole twenty minutes of my lifetime.

Given the time-frame it is an epic discovery and a great one at that.  True love does come in a package of a cheaper fly line.  Now the "semi-para" is in my Top Three Stillwater Rods for dry fly fishing.  So far it has never disappointed.  Now I have a bunch of friends saying that there is another line that is even more "friendly" than the Aquanova.  Well...next up is the Scientific Anglers Headstart weight forward five weight line.  Wish me luck guys.  Cheers...

No comments: