Friday, February 25, 2011

Back To Tenkara

For long time readers of T.F.M. you might remember my genuine interest in tenkara with a bevy of posts in the summer of 2009 including an interview with Daniel Galhardo of TenkaraUSA

Over that winter I let a friend borrow my Ayu rod and haven't seen it since.  I am assuming he's working on a "long term" review.  HA...


This week a box arrived from TenkaraUSA which included the 11' Iwana, a Level Line, and a Tenkara Net.  This is quite an outfit and certainly has rekindled my interest in fishing the tenkara method. 

Look for a review of the Iwana in the coming months.  In the meantime check out the TenkaraUSA website which is filled with gear options, videos, forum, and other information.

3 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

I'm really interested in these rods. I think this will be my next one. I like how you can adjust the length for certain situations.

TenkaraOnTheFly said...

Kev2380 - there is a misunderstanding here, you cannot adjust the length of a tenkara rod. The telescopic nature is for storage/transport. There is only one rod I know of (a 15ft Shimano ZEN) that has an adjustable telescopic section but it's one of the high-end/premium rods that hasn't really yet found it's way to the States. That being said, I have shorted my Iwana 12ft at the but section once to be able to cast in a very tight and close spot and have to say that although it works, it is far from ideal. You'd be better off chosing the tenkara rod that will suit the river conditions. Any questions, let me know (or reach out to me through my blog tenkaraonthefly.net.

BLUEANGLER said...

OMG, this friend is lost in a beautiful woods full of brook trout, with Tenkara on hand! Good stuff!