Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thinkfish Bold

A couple weeks ago I was contacted by the Spanish reel company Thinkfish and asked if I had any interest in demoing and reviewing their Bold auto fly reel.   I responded that of course I would since I have had my gear eye on the Bold fly reel since I first saw it online a year or so ago since it struck me as wonderfully different but built with purpose as well.


The Bold arrived today and it's really quite a neat auto fly reel.  It is solidly constructed and very comfortable to use.


It's very fun to make the Bold purr with just a flick of the lever. 


I'll be loading this fly reel up with backing and fly line and fishing it all spring and summer to get a feel for what it can do.  A detailed review to follow once I've run it through it's paces.

Thanks Thinkfish for giving me the opportunity to demo this fly reel.  I'm looking forward to it.

5 comments:

Marinette Jewelry said...

You're lucky, I think I'd love that reel.

Peter said...

Yes, that's a highly desirable piece of equipment. Envy yourchance quite a bit, keep us updated please!

gfen said...

I was presented a deal I couldn't refuse on the Vivarelli Goldstar and spare spool.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it, though. I'd feel much better if it just had a handle. Its a weird little thing to use, though, but its a blast to pull the lever and just watch the line zing up.

I tried "playing" a fish on the reel, not so much on that count though.

Marinette Jewelry said...

I don't believe in bringing back fish with the lever, but once you'll be used to reeling your line back in in 2 seconds before moving to another spot, my guess is that you'll never want to go back to a normal reel.

The Great Lakes of NYC said...

I've used the Bold for several years now. It is a sturdy fly reel. I use when I fish for carp and pike.

Bill
The Great Lakes of NYC