Friday, April 15, 2011

Mark's Memorial To Stan Bogdan

Mark Baker has been a long time Bogdan fly reel collector and even spent a few days in the Bogdan shop a couple of years ago furthering his friendship with both Stan and Steve.

Mark posted this short memorial on both the Classic Fly Rod Forum and Fiberglass Flyrodders and with his permission I thought I would share it here as well. 

Mark wrote...  "It's taken me a while since I got the call that Stan had passed away to even think about writing anything.  I knew it was coming, but it was still a surprise and caught me off guard.  It would be disingenuous for me to say that I really knew Stan, but I certainly enjoyed the many conversations I'd had in recent years and feel very fortunate that I got the opportunity to go visit Stan and Steve at the shop a couple years ago.  He loved life and his attitude toward how to live it is something that I will always try to remember and act on in my own life."

(1950s Bogdan Model ‘0’ and mid 1940s Bogdan Prototype at rest after a day of Salmon fishing in Alaska 2007)

"I don't think Stan really expected to be around for last salmon season, so it was really special that he was not only well enough to make it through the entire season chasing Atlantics on the wonderful waters that he loved, and that I can only dream about, but he remained well enough through the fall, winter and early spring to be able to look back and reflect on that final season with great joy and satisfaction. 

I have never had the opportunity to fish for Atlantic Salmon, but I had the pleasure on many occasions to fish those special waters vicariously through his wonderful stories.  The youthful excitement in his voice as he told of the adventures was a wonderful experience.  They were rarely about his great fish, but most often about the wonderful Atlantics caught by his fishing partners and friends and the wonderful people he met on the Atlantic Salmon rivers of the world.  Stan was never one to talk about his own accomplishments and was one of the most humble people I have ever had the pleasure to correspond with.  I will sincerely miss that I can no longer give him a call on a Sunday afternoon and lose myself for an hour or more enjoying the stories of fishing adventures that I will never experience in person.

Rest in peace Stan, you will be missed."

No comments: