Thursday, July 14, 2011

Jason Bristol's J.P. Ross Glass Build

Last month J.P. Ross Fly Rods & Co. offered a one of a kind yellow fiberglass blank build that was purchased by Jason Bristol.  Jason's experience with fiberglass has been limited but I think he's already quite fond of it.   


Jason wrote...  "The fly rod loads slow like good glass should and was perfect for swinging soft hackle flies all day to hungry trout on the Battenkill River.  

I own ten or so fly rods from different makers and within five minutes this fly rod out performed just about everything I own including the $600 plus stuff from the big boys.

I have never fished or held a rod that roll casts as good as this one.  I've spent a lot of time fishing close to banks with no room to backcast so let's just say I rollcast a lot.  That is not to say that this rod can't throw a loop because it can.  I was throwing thirty foot controlled casts with no problem at all."


"I really love the half well grip since it felt real nice in the hand and this is coming from a cigar grip guy.  All the extras on this fly rod that J.P. does are great from the silk wraps to feather inlay and the detailed drawing on the cap on the rod tube.  You take a blank and give it to J.P. Ross and you'll have a work of art that is as functional is it is beautiful."

Visit the J.P. Ross Fly Rods & Co. website to find more information on their work and offerings.

1 comment:

bfly said...

Great review! I'm glad to here the glass performed well...although I'm not surprised. Nice job Jordan Ross, and have fun Justin!