Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Three Rocks Rods Lemon Drop Build

Over the course of the past few years of writing this blog it's been really neat to add new builders to the Rod Shops page.  It really has been a surprise to me to see an influx of custom builders and fly rod companies resurrect or even add fiberglass to there list of offerings.

I recently added Three Rocks Rods to the Rod Shops page which features the work of builder Buzz Natzke.  I spoke with Buzz a couple weeks ago and he passed on that he hopes to spend more time building fiberglass fly rods as they are his preference when on the water.  His last glass build was on a FH Paddock Lemon Drop blank which turned out quite nice and really shows off his workmanship. 


Buzz wrote... "I recently finished this build for my cousin. I purchased the Lemon Drop blank as a one-piece from Fred Paddock and cut and ferruled it myself using solid fiberglass rod tapered by hand on the lathe. The reel seat hardware is Bellinger and the flared seat is made from highly figured quilted maple with quilted satinwood laminated on the end for the flare. I also embedded a 1937 (the year my cousin was born) Mercury dime in the butt end of the reel seat. The agate guide is from Struble. The guide wraps are Lemon Yellow with Chestnut trims and are both Pearsall's Gossamer silk. I finished it two coats of Threadmaster Lite. My wife embroidered the rod bag."




Check out the Three Rocks Rods website for more information and follow along on the Facebook page as well.

1 comment:

ShesaManiYak (Pamela Funk) said...

I love the yellow...first glass of choice,, but I really must say that caramel colored one it beautiful!