Monday, March 19, 2012

Introducing Schultz Outfitters

As plans were firming up for the recent trip to Michigan, I had several people send me messages that I had to meet Mike Schultz, a.k.a. "Schultzy", and check out Schultz Outfitters which is Michigan's newest fly shop located in downtown Ypsilanti.


On my way to the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo to get setup, I had just enough time to stop in at Schultz Outfitters and the shop is located on a high bank overlooking the Huron River. The proximity to the river couldn't be better since I know from last year's trip to the Huron River that there are loads of carp just a double haul from the front door of the shop both upstream and down.


I met Mike Schultz and had a short conversation with him while he and the crew took the fly shop apart to take a good bit of merchandise to their booth at the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo.  The shop just opened the first week of March but already had that "established" look and feel that all well put together fly shops exude.   


Even with bare floor and wall space the shop looked great and I'm excited to see a new shop in Michigan.  Even though I live a dozen hours away now, I still like to keep up with the pulse of the Michigan fly fishing scene.  There are a small handful of new fly shops opening up across the state which might mean things are starting to turn around in a state that's definitely seen more than it's share of depressing times.


Of Course I Left A Few T.F.M. Decals For The Back Door

Keeping It Proper With Michigan Artist Becca Schlaff
Schultz Outfitters is a full service fly shop and runs a mix bag of guide trips for smallmouth, carp, trout, and salmon all year long.  The real pull for me would be the local smallmouth and carp scene and I hope to get back this summer for a day or two of fly fishing with "Schultzy".

Check out the Schultz Outfitters website for more information and follow shop news on their Facebook page as well.

1 comment:

Scud Fishing said...

Good Luck buddy! Store looks professional grade! Great Job

Dan
Shoe Guy In Northville