Saturday, January 19, 2013

James Green 10' 7 Weight Switch Build

Bob Hallowell of the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum posted up the completion of his build on a James Green 10' seven weight switch rod blank which I think turned out phenomenal.  Bob gets an A+ for the cork and composite fore and aft grips and that big agate stripper is a reallynice touch as well. 

Bob wrote...  "I just finished building my new 10' seven weight switch James Green blank.  I plan on using it for Erie tributary steelhead and Oak Orchard browns.   

I have cast it with a 340 grain Meiser Scandi line and it casts very nice.  James said it cast best with a 390 grain head.

This was my first time using silk.  I had no problems with the wraps but the trim bands gave me major fits trying to get them to stay.  I also tried a new supplier of agates, J.E. Arguello, and I have to say they are the nicest agates I have seen and requires not foot prep.  The guides and top are snake brand universal and the seat is a Struble.  The silk wraps are fish hawk gold with scarlet trim."

Bob had a chance to get to the river yesterday and sent along a couple images of the switch rod doing work.

I am hearing more and more positive reviews of this blank and at some point I'm going to have to break down and order one at some point soon.


Bill Trussell said...

Fantastic rod with great backbone.

Richard C. Harrington said...

Where is that blank available? Sounds like what I've been looking for.

james deloria said...

Great rod--but that fly tying bench is BEAUTIFUL1

Cameron Mortenson said... you have one of these as well?

Richard...send me an email at and I'll get you in contact with James Green.

James...for sure. I should have mentioned that as well in the post.