Wednesday, August 21, 2013

T.F.M. Spotting - The Hastie Brothers

Stu Hastie of Secret Creek Photography recently sent along a few images of his young sons fly fishing together for the T.F.M. Spotting Photo Contest and the images remind me of a few scenes from A River Runs Through It when Norman and Paul Maclean were on the river and learning this craft by figuring it out more or less on their own. 


Stu wrote...  "Lately I've been teaching my kids to fish with an old glass spin rod that I bought for myself when I was about 12 years old. Initially I just threaded some fly line through it, so they could get an idea of how to fly cast, but it wasn't quite suitable.

The rod had a great action, so I took the time to convert into a fly rod. I stripped the old grip off and replaced it, re-used the reel seat as a down locker, and threw on a few snake guides. It turned out to be a really fun stick to use on the smaller creeks we have around here, although not 100% suitable. It's just too beefy in the butt to roll cast, so the long term plan is to get them into an Epic rod before too long. 

In the meantime, we're just going to keep on having a blast with my "new" old glass rod."






Stu...stellar images and I really appreciate you capturing and sharing them.

No comments: