Friday, August 2, 2013

The Natural - 8' Five Weight Review

For the past month or longer, I have been harassing Shane Gray of Graywolf Rods to send over information and photographs of his latest fly rods in development in what he is calling "The Natural Series".  Shane is staying quite busy in the shop on several different projects and builds, so I am still waiting to post all the specifics to this new series, but thankfully a few of these builds are making into the hands of his customers.

Rick Schlarb contacted me this week and sent along a few images along with a short review of his experience with the Natural 8' five weight which I thought would be good to share with this post.    


Rick wrote...  "The latest glass fly rods that Shane has developed are "The Natural" series, and I was lucky enough to get one of the first eight foot five weights.  This is the most pleasurable rod I have ever fished and I have been doing this for a long time.  I have owned, at one point or another, all the big names in graphite, and this five weight tops them all by far. 

This is the only rod I have been fishing on almost a daily basis since it has come into my hands.  It loads with just a few feet of line out and delivers pinpoint accurate casts.  I have been fishing size #26 tricos on 8X tippet with a 15 foot leader, and it is absolutely dead on.  It will also cast a tungsten #6 streamer with authority when needed. 

It is a perfect marriage between the eye, the hand, and rod.  A hands down winner and my favorite glass rod."

For more information on "The Natural Series", check out the Graywolf Rods website and blog.  Shane posts the latest shop news and photographs of his builds on the Graywolf Rods Facebook page.

No comments: