Friday, December 16, 2016

Introducing: Hallowell Rods

I have known Bob Hallowell for a number of years as a member on the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum and over the years he's shared many interesting and well done builds showing off his craftmanship as a rod builder.

As with several other fly rod builders that I know, his interest in building fiberglass fly rods has grown to the point where not only is he building on other makers blanks, but is now having blanks made to his own specifications with the introduction of the first of several planed Hallowell Rods offerings.


Bob wrote...  "I am releasing a series of fiberglass rods with the first taper being based on a vintage fly rod that belonged to my grandfather that was an 8'1" three piece five weight.  The maker of the original rod is unknown but it is one of the finest tapers I have cast and has been well received anytime it was cast.  It is a progressive taper with a mid flex and these blanks are being rolled for me by Mike McFarland of McFarland Rods.

I only plan on building a few a month as I still plan on perusing bamboo along with other woodworking projects.  The reel seats on this series of fly rods are made as a cap and ring by Lemke Concepts to my specs.  This hardware is made out of Duronze and then blued.  The insert is Pennsylvania Cherry burl that I turn in the shop.  I can also use a double slide band made of Duronze or other Lemke Concepts downlocking hardware if desired.

This price of these fly rods are $485 plus shipping and includes an aluminum fly rod tube.  

I will consider trade ins and I will also not take any money until the rod has shipped.  I also have a very unique 6'6 4wt coming out soon in the next month or two that has a fatter tip with a shallow taper that flexes deep but still throws a loop!"




Bob Hallowell is low drag without a website but can be reached by email at bobha8@hotmail.com.  Look for the latest shop news to be posted on the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum.

No comments: