Friday, February 15, 2019

Introducing Trout Smith's

I don't think I'll ever forget getting a phone call from Shane Gray of Graywolf Rods which was not too long after I had started writing this website in 2008.  Shane wanted to talk about fiberglass fly rods and what his ideas were moving forward and it was pretty exciting to have a builder that I followed and admired reach out for where I thought this whole "Glass Revolution" was going.

That first phone call was followed by many other phone calls, text messages and emails over the years and I've watch as he has built not only hundreds and hundreds of custom fly rods, but in the process has come up with his own fiberglass fly rod tapers along the way as well.

One of my most cherished fly rods is a yellow glass four weight that Shane built and I am really stoked to see that he is bringing these classic fly rods back through his new idea, Trout Smith's.


Shane wrote...  "What is "Trout Smith's"?  After almost ten years, I thought it's time to bring back the tapers that started my fiberglass journey.  The same tapers that I designed with the help of Mike McFarland of McFarland Rods over ten years ago, updated of course with some refinements, as Mike and I have learned a few things over the years. 

The fly rods of a classic flex, medium action, workhorse rods that hit all "sweet spots" if you will and cover all of your trout fishing needs.  I've combined my favorite fiberglass tapers, flor grade cork grips shapes, and custom designed reel seats for the rods I offer which are all wrapped in silk thread and finished with a simply finished look.  This series of fiberglass rods starts with small stream three weights to the best four and five weight rods you've ever fished and I've even added a six-piece travel rod to the line up as well."

Trout Smith's is also the idea of offering these classic fiberglass rods that are handmade one at a time but are not "custom", meaning that there are no options as far as grip shape, reel seat hardware, thread wraps, etc. listed on the website.  Of course folks can still have a custom rod built on the blanks on these same blanks through the Graywolf Rods website. 

These are many of the same tapers that I offered from 2009 to 2012, with some refinements.  The 563 is a new model that I just loved and thought I would like to now offer.   It has a medium action and is a real workhorse type taper.  We used an internal ferrule on these fly rods which is the same as we used for the original rods.  This is a better ferrule and keeps the flex consistent throughout the rod.  I think most "Glass Clients" will love these rods as they did in the past.  

The reel seats are all custom designed from a hand drawn sketch.  The result is a very clean and simple complete with domed end caps and clean lines.

The grip of each fly rod was chosen after years (going on decades, actually) of turning a lot of cork grips and I've found these shapes are the most comfortable.

A simply finished look should be finished with a simply classic look."















Take a few minutes to visit the Trout Smith's website and consider one of these yellow glass classics for your own collection.  You won't regret it.

2 comments:

Dave Smith said...

I bought one of Shane’s Trout Smith glass spinning rods on an impulse (he’s a deadly salesman on Instagram:-) for myself for a birthday present this summer. A five foot three piece. Incredible piece of practical artwork. It has become one of my favorite rods. Caught a bunch of bluegill and crappie on it so far. Every hook set feels like the fish of a lifetime. Highly recommend his glass fly rods too.

Cameron Mortenson said...

Dave... He does a GREAT job of showing off his work on social media and what a great gift for yourself. I've been lusting over his spinning rods as well.