Friday, May 17, 2019

LEIDERMAN RODS - An Epic 686 with All the Details

I learned a long time ago that when you are working with a small shop custom fly rod builder that they can get really into a build when the customer doesn't fence them them in with too many "Do this..." and make sure that you "Don't do this...".  Some of the most cherished custom built fly rods in my own collection came from starting the conversation with the builder with no preferences as I didn't want to hold the artist's hand.

That said, Matt Leiderman of Leiderman Rods had full artistic control of a recent Swift Fly Fishing Epic 686 build and the results are just stunning.  I'll give it to Matt that he mixes thread colors on blanks that I would never guess would pop the way that they do in the end.  It's good to have builders who can see way past the norm. 


Matt wrote...  "This Epic 686 is in my favorite dark amber color.  I got some creative leeway on this one and since it’s a bigger rod, with a traditional grip and seat combo, I wanted to “beef up” the visual impact of the grip area.  Adding a broad check helped this and the butt cap is pretty awesome. Striations of deep brushing to add texture too.  I live for the details and happy when they’re appreciated."









Visit the Leiderman Rods website for more examples of his work and be sure to follow along on Facebook and Instagram for the latest shop news.

No comments: