Saturday, September 24, 2022

406 FLY LINES - When THIS Fly Line Made All the Difference

The other day I make a quick overnight trip up to hang out with Dave Fason and we spent the afternoon with guide Patrick Hayes on a local lake in Greensboro, North Carolina.  They have been figuring this lake together for the carp that more or less crawl through the muddy flats in inches of water.
 
I was loading up my Sea Run Case Riffle Daily QR Travel Case, trying to figure out a good line to match with the Superfine Glass six-weight and eight-weight fly rods that I was taking as Dave mentioned that the fish were both leader and fly line shy.  Typically when I get to heavier line weight fly rods, the fly lines that I use are big bug capable with large forward heads that don't always land on the water with too much subtly.

 
As I was sorting through the large container that I have all my fly lines organized in, I grabbed the stack of 406 Fly Lines and picked out the six and eight-weight weight forward fly lines, thinking "These should work just fine...".

And they did.  The fly line worked great on the Superfine Glass 8-weight laying down on the water softly.  The carp that you see above was working it's way through maybe four or five inches of water and I cast a couple of feet ahead to hopefully intersect it's path.  It crawled forward.  Slowly.  Was it going to turn?  Forward again and closer to the fly.  I twitched the black bugger just a inch and the carp moved forward to inhale it.  Moments later we slid it into the net.
 
I've long been impressed with the 406 Fly Lines but mostly fished them in the "trout weights".  I was glad to have the heavier line weights in my stash.  The 406 Fly Lines are made at the Scientific Anglers factory to Tom Brodhead's specifications using heritage tapers as his guide.  These fly lines work great on glass (and have quite the following in the bamboo crowd too) and really should be considered if you're in need of a new line.

Visit the 406 Fly Lines website to check out their weight forward and double taper offerings.  You can learn more about their story on the website too.

P.S.  If you find yourself in the Greensboro area and want to fish, look Patrick Hayes Fly Fishing up. 

No comments: