Sunday, November 27, 2022

REST IN PEACE, DAVE

You may or may not have heard that Dave Whitlock, famed writer, artist, fly tier, educator, and angler, passed away on Thanksgiving evening.  The outpouring of stories, experiences, and tributes that have been shared on social media through the weekend really show the impact that he's had over his life.

I only had a handful of interactions with Dave over the years but was always impressed with the genuine time that he took with each person that visited him at his booth.   No matter how many people were lined up waiting to have their book or print signed, Dave was only focused on the person standing or sitting beside him as he inked or colored whatever he was signing.   

From the Dave & Emily Whitlock Fly Fishing Facebook page...

It breaks my heart to let you know that we lost Dave last night to a massive stroke. He was working on his boat next to our casting pond when it hit, and was flown to Tulsa for care. But he broke the tippit and drifted gently back to the deep water, the wild that he loved and spent a lifetime exploring, writing and painting about.

We shared 30 wonderful years together and I was able to see, first hand, the huge mark he made on our sport. He was so honored when Fly Fisherman Magazine recently named him as one of four greats that make up the Mt. Rushmore of fly fishing. But I think he left an even bigger mark on those who knew him and who got to share a river with him. The shimmering leap of a trout, the heavy pull of a largemouth or the feisty dance of a bluegill were things that he dearly loved, made his heart race and brought out his big smile...every time!

I can't fathom life without him yet. For all these years we have done everything together. But, if I learned one thing from Dave, (and I learned many), it is to take on each day with willingness and curiosity and go out there and keep casting forward.

My kids are here with their arms around me and I’ll reach out when I can. We will come together for a celebration of Dave’s life, but we don’t know when that will be just yet.

Thanks to all of you who have touched our lives so profoundly.

With love,

Emily

I met the Whitlock's at The Fly Fishing Show in 2011 and then again in 2013.  These past T.F.M. posts highlight the experiences.  I really cherish the print that I have framed in my office and won't ever forget the exchange we had on carp and smallmouth on the fly.  It was something special, for sure. 


 
Do you have a memory of Dave Whitlock?  If so, please leave in the comments below...

3 comments:

Jay said...

The approachable and kindness of Dave is simply humbling
Dave had a great life and left a great legacy with his tying innovations and artwork
So long Dave

James Hersh said...

Met him at a poorly attended show in Chicago in the 90s.Was new at this flyfishing and tying stuff.Bought a book and he gave my young daughter a fly.He gave me a ton of tips and encouragement.I was able to spend a good 20-30 minutes talking with the man.Like i said the show was really slow.I have read everything i could of his over the years,especially warm water stuff.I was just on his website last week ,they were having a sale on his artwork.RIP Mr Whitlock

TDavis said...

I had a brief encounter with Dave and Emily at the Atlanta Fly show several years ago. As you said in your post, he was pleasant and inviting no matter how many people were in line waiting for their own interaction. I told him that his articles in the various magazines of my time were the primary reason I was flyfishing today. I am sure he had heard that comment many times before but he reacted as if mine was just as special. Flyfishing has lost another truly great ambassador of our sport.