Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Striper Schematics

For the past couple months the Saluda River and the striped bass that will be running it soon have been on my mind. The Saluda River is a large tailrace in the Columbia, South Carolina area with fish that range from a couple of pounds to the occasional leviathan upwards of fifty pounds.


(Saluda River Striper from the 1970's that pushed 50 pounds)

This scheming has included adding a few pieces of new gear including a two-hander eight weight rod, a big old school reel, new flies, and a few other items as well.

I can't wait to be swinging big fish flies for these river brutes.

5 comments:

cofisher said...

I can't wait to see some of those bad boys Cam.

flyfishingunlimited said...

You will have a lot of fun... striper-mania can be extremely dangerous thing ;-)

BLUEANGLER said...

ha ha ha ha.... agree!! Vlad...
it is really dangerous...

your hands will sweating, heart start pumping hard, when you just think about the initial run...

Cameron Mortenson said...

Fellows...just these three comments have gotten me even more excited!

D. Fuller said...

Cam,
I've never caught a striper on the fly before but I have caught many on baitcaster rigs. I had one completely gut a reel once. Good luck and have a blast!