Saturday, March 28, 2009

Cliff's Excellent P.N.W. Adventure

The other day while talking on the phone with Matt Cassel (found out that friends call him Cliff - go figure) I noticed that he was even more excited than usual. He had just returned from a few cold wet days in the P.N.W. and had touched a few fresh fish.


Great to see that the front man for Cliff Outdoors still finds time to steal away for a few days on the water. His email and photos tell the story...

"Gavin Bush (a friend and steelhead junkie) picked me up at SeaTac. We drove over to Forks, WA and met up with Rooster Leavens. Rooster owns the Stonefly Inn in Twin Bridges, MT and since the early 90's has been fishing and guiding out of Forks for six weeks every spring. He mainly fishes the Hoh, the Bogachiel, the Sol Duc, and Calawah rivers.

On Friday the rivers were all blown out and Saturday they were not a whole lot better. Our best bet was the Sol Duc and we fished hard and got skunked. We swung where we could and nymphed from the boat between swinging holes. Sunday things were better. I got one on the Sol Duc and Gavin got two. Beautiful bright fish. On Monday we did the Bogachiel and we each landed two (and farmed more that we like to admit)."



"Winter fish are not easy, but if you want the best possible chance get in touch with Rooster (www.thestoneflyinn.com). He works closely with Jeff Brazda and Jimmy Kerr (good guys) while he is out there."

Thanks "Cliff" for the report and photos. I'm ready for a P.N.W. fix now myself. Let's grab the fly gear and go!

3 comments:

flynbird said...

Sick post Cam! That reminds me of the central Oregon coast. Ultra brite fish and rain soaked forest. A fresh Steelhead is def in my Top 5 purdiest fish!

BLUEANGLER said...

PNW! COOL!

cofisher said...

I've got a standing invitation with my oldest friend to fish in Oregon...It's definitely high on my list of places to go.