Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Troutstalking in Sweden

Last week Christian Hörgren posted a set of photos on the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum that I knew needed to be shared with the T.F.M. readership.  Christian sent a few lines of copy and I put together a slideshow of  Johan Dalhall's excellent frames that were taken on a day "troutstalking" in Sweden.  Enjoy.

After a long Swedish winter with loads of snow, I finally had a chance to pack my bags and head up north for a day on the water.  During the winter, I had acquired some nice rods and on my trip I had company with a new Sage SFL 679 with a Ross R2 and a WF6 for the streamers, and a 794 Kenney rod with a brown Tibor Light strung up with a DT4.

During the day we had sparse hatches of stoneflies but no rising fish. The sun was shining and my friend, Johan who is a photographer, enjoyed the day off with the SLR in one hand and a Winston rod in the other. At first, Johan laughed at my short rods until he tried the streamer rod. He began with a smooth roll cast measuring about 50 feet. Distances up to 80 feet is no problem with that rod.  Sage will always be Sage, fast and furious. The Kenney rod is something completely different. Smooth and nice and perfect for small dry flies. Nothing beats comfortable gear.


We both landed a few brookies each, had some coffee, and some more brookies. Fly fishing brings out the best in you. It doesn’t matter who you are, where you come from or what you do for a living. The joy of matching the hatch and eventually landing a fish stretches beyond everything. It’s even okay to spend the day with a guy with a green graphite rod…

1 comment:

BLUEANGLER said...

Wow... really cool!! Thanks for sharing! love the water you fish and the rod looks so nice! Maybe I have to get one of those old sages : )