Saturday, June 5, 2010

Native Ultimate Modifications

I know there has been a lot of paddle talk on T.F.M. lately but I've been having a great time tweaking our Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem and figuring how to easily turn it from family water ride to solo fly fishing vessel.

I spent an hour or so yesterday making the last of a series of modifications that I am very happy with. I added a couple more Scotty mounts to the rear of the Ultimate and also installed another Scotty Fly Rod Holder to the removable dashboard in the front of kayak.
Drilling holes in a $1500 kayak really makes you consider where you want items placed.  I've been thinking about a couple of these modifications for some time to ensure they were going exactly where they were needed.
These two Scotty mounts in the rear of the kayak can hold a host of different options from Scotty but the intent is for fly rod holders and a soon to be arriving VISICarbon Pro from YakAttack.  This genius pole light will allow some night excursions on the family pond and looks to be a well designed safety device.
The Native Ultimate Dashboard (now discontinued) was advertised for the solo 14.5 model only but I figured it would work on the tandem version as well.  Since we use our Ultimate for as many family trips as we do for solo trips I wanted the dashboard to be easily removable.  I had thought about using Velcro but opted for four well placed drill holes, four bolts, and knobs.
Though these knobs may catch a fly line now and then they make it very convenient to install and uninstall the dashboard.  
The dashboard is great for holding a couple of fly rod holders and a Cliff Outdoors Float Patch.  It will be really nice to have the fly rods accessible in their holders and off the bottom of the kayak floor.  I am now thinking about devising some sort of camera/video post that I can utilize with one of the Scotty mounts to document trips and catches.  
Earlier this spring I added an anchor trolley system which is a really slick device.  It should work great with the ball anchor and stake out pole that I have.
Ultimate modifications complete and it's ready to fish. Off to the pond I went.  
Wouldn't you know it that just as I was easing the kayak from the back of the Element it began to sprinkle and before I could had all my gear ready there was a full on storm brewing with heavy rain and thunder.
While tinkering around the garage this morning (when I should have been on the mower chopping our yard) I realized that there is enough space behind the First Class Seat for the William Joseph Conduit gear bag.  It fits perfectly and the rubberized bottom will ensure that the bag stays dry as well.  I am looking forward to taking an extended trip in the Ultimate now since the Conduit holds a days needs and more.
I know that I keep adding to this blog post but wanted to put up a photograph of how neatly the bow skirt fits up against the dashboard on the front of the kayak.  The skirt is attached by way of the Adapt-A-Trak system for easy install and removal.

If you can't tell I really do enjoy our Native Ultimate and being able to make useful additions to the kayak certainly make it that much better when solo fly fishing or when the whole family piles in for an afternoon paddle around the family pond.

5 comments:

Jeff Ryan said...

Nice modifications... being a fly fisherman as well... I installed a stripping basket on my Ultimate. It has worked great! Check it out... it may be helpful if interested.

www.thefreshwaterfly.com

Cameron Mortenson said...

Jeff...thanks for the link. I added your blog to T.F.M.'s blogroll. Got to represent my mitten state peeps!

middlemac said...

Super work! Very nice additions and it really pays to proceed carefully when you poull out the drill... can't wait to see whatyou come up with for a mini-camera staff... maybe a busted flyrod butt section with a mount on top ;)

Neophyte said...

Would the knobs of the dash board work in the inverted position?

Cameron Mortenson said...

Neophyte...I used the knobs so it would be easy on and easy off since we use the Ultimate as much in tandem as I do in solo. If I wanted the dashboard to stay on for a length of time I could go bolt down with a nut instead of a knob.

The worry with the knobs was that it would catch fly line but the dashboard is far enough forward in the kayak so it is not a worry. Fly line has yet to be caught on the knobs or the rod holders which is good.