Thursday, October 14, 2010

Abe's iPhoneography

It's no doubt that the Apple iPhone has changed our perception of what a cell is and what it can be used for.  One part of that is creating images with the basic forward facing camera and then using a long list of applications to tweak the photos for use in text messages, emails, blogs, social networks, and websites.  

Abe Lee has been using his iPhone as a substitute camera until he figures out which waterproof P&S he wants and the "iPhoneography" that he is producing on the trout streams of Colorado is nothing short of impressive. 

Abe wrote...  "Currently, the iPhone 4 is the only camera I own and because I have it on me when I fish to keep time, it's also my "go-to" camera.  The more I use its camera feature, the more I learn about its strengths and weaknesses.  Like other small sensor P&S cameras, it struggles with shutter lag and focus prioritization in low light conditions and with moving subjects.  In other words, it's not a great fishing camera, but given adequate ambient light and a stationary subject (example cooperative trout or landscapes), it can produce some great images. (Oh, Mr. Jobs, anyway to waterproof this phone?)

Sometimes I get lucky with "straight out of the camera" files, but I'm often disappointed with images that don't quite reflect the beauty that my eyes saw.  Since there are no manual controls, the camera prioritizes what it thinks I want.  Do I want the deep blue sky or an accurate hue to a grassy meadow? The camera won't give me both."






Created with flickr slideshow from softsea.
"I'm just learning to use post-processing software to revert the camera's "interpretation" back to what my eyes originally saw.  It only takes a minute or so these days to crop an image, tweak exposure and saturation, maybe add a little vignetting, and it's what I wanted the camera to see.  I first use some free iPhone apps such as Photoshop Express and Apple's iPhoto application which work well for simple adjustments.  I recently discovered Adobe Lightroom's free 30 day fully-featured demo while doing some camera research.  It offers so much more control and features that I plan to purchase it as my main photo-editing software.  

Finally, it's always a balance between releasing a fish quickly and getting the shot I want.  It goes faster when I try to envision certain images that I want ahead of time as I gear up for the day. Then it's just a few quick shots that get me close, and hopefully with some adjustments, I have a keeper!"

No comments: