Wednesday, March 30, 2011

24 Hours With Mr. Deneki

This posts will start a series of "24 Hours With..." posts in the coming months from an array of fly fishing industry folks from rod makers, guides, gear makers, writers, artists, photographers, and others.  There is a real life side to what some may think is an idyllic lifestyle spent in fly fishing and it will be neat to share their stories on T.F.M.

Andrew Bennett is the President of Deneki Outdoors and will be sending in a "24 Hours" post from each of their four lodges in the coming months.

Andrew is currently hosting the FIBFest at Andros South Lodge and kept track of his "typical" Monday to share here.
6:00 a.m. - Alarm clock rings.

6:15 a.m. - Organize fishing gear and chat with guests.

6:45 a.m. - Short run on Kemp's Beach which is three miles of hard white sand!

7:15 a.m. - Quick breakfast and even quicker shower.

7:30 a.m. - Leave the lodge for the quick van ride to the boat launch with the guests.

(Photo - Andrew Bennett)

8:00 a.m. - Leave the dock with guide Josie Sands and Bjorn Stromsness of Bonefish On The Brain.  We ran down the east coast of the island for a day of fishing in "The South" which is the southern tip of South Andros.

9:00 a.m. - Bjorn lands the first fish of the day with a beautiful sixty foot shot and hooked up on his first cast.

 (Photo - Andrew Bennett)

10:30 a.m. - I land my first fish.  Both on the board!

1:00 p.m. - Lunch on the water in the South.  My Sands beer tastes awfully good.

 (Photo - Bjorn Stromsness)

4:00 p.m. - Back at the dock.  It was a decent day with a good mix of wading and poling.  Bjorn and I landed a few fish a piece which is well below average for South Andros.  That's fishing!

4:30 p.m. - Answer emails, write a blog post, launch a Facebook caption contest.

5:30 p.m. - Quick call to the wife.

5:45 p.m. - Head to the Slack Tide, our beach-front tiki hut, for cocktails with our guests and FIBFest bloggers.

(Photo - Cameron Miller)

6:30 p.m. - Dinner of curried grouper, proclaimed by a former resident of Florida to be "the best fish I've ever had".

7:30 p.m. - Another quick round of email.

8:00 p.m. - Back to the Slack Tide for a great evening session of story telling.  My face hurts from laughing too much.

11:30 p.m. - Bedtime!

Follow Deneki Outdoors through their well done blog and newsletter, the Deneki Outdoors Facebook page, and on Twitter to keep up with all things Deneki. 


Anthony said...

Poor guy, sounds pretty rough.LOL Of course, I'm sure not all days are spent on the water.

JJP said...

Who knew?!? But since I just comment... I'll be right down the street in a little over a week with MY family! Got my deep water set and I'm waitin' to hear about the flats. Like my home water, the ocean isn't far. Just tied a few Clousers tonight and my Fly box is full of Gotchas and Crazy Charlies,Bonefish Specials and Big Uglies.
I ran out of Static Guard. Oh, No...
Enjoy the South! John

Bjornorama said...

It was a great day. Andrew has a really first class operation and is one of the few folks who actually are building something. Glad I didn't botch that first bonefish shot!