Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Christian's Winston Stalker Build

It's been a bit since we've gotten a glimpse at the ever widening collection of Christian Hörgren with his replica Winston Stalker build that he completed a couple months ago.  Genius work as always.


Christian wrote...  "I have been working on this Winston Stalker-blank for almost a year now.  It's the 7' four weight rod model from the famous line of fiberglass midge rods designed by Mr Tom Morgan in the mid 70's.  These blanks were rolled by Fisher with the typical deep brown color and progressive action.  The Stalker blanks are still considered top shelf, even compared to contemporary premium fiberglass rods.  The price is because of this very high on the secondary market. 

It took me some time to find the original components to accomplish the blank, but at last it's there.  I picked up the blank from my friend, the rod designer James Green in San Fransisco, and had the luck to be offered an original Stalker skeleton from Arthur Mayfield, a.k.a. Cross Creek on the Fiberglass Flyrodders.  Thanks also to Golden Witch that had some of the discontinued purple Gudebrod thread still in stock.

As you can see it's very similar to the original Winston rods from the 70's.  I chose to put my signature on the blank, to make it clear this is a replica built by me on a vintage blank.  It's a smooth caster, perhaps even a three weight.  It has a deep flexing curve and bends easily.  I really love this smooth, buttery and progressive Fisher action.  This is a keeper."







Christian is on the short list of people that in my mind need to author their own website so we can get more looks at what he's building and collecting. 

No comments: