Tuesday, July 24, 2018

FINE TACKLE - Three Builds

The other day rod builder Christian Hörgren of Fine Tackle mentioned on Facebook that he was shutting the shop down for the summer to focus on a few new projects but it's not before putting the finishing touches on several custom builds that I wanted to share in today's post.

I just can't get enough Christian's style.  Simple, clean and of unbelievable talent that is clearly evident in each build.  These three builds begin with the latest from Thomas & Thomas with a Lotic 7'6" four weight and Swift Fly Fishing with an Epic 580 and ends with a re-visioning an older Sage blank from spinning rod to 5'9" fly rod.


Christian wrote...  "I have a soft spot for Thomas & Thomas rods.  Over the years, I have handled a few of their last generation of glass rods, the green Heirloom series.  Those rods are quite close to bamboo, with a considerable swing weight and slow action.  Last year they presented the new Lotic series, also made from fiberglass.  This is something different.  Much lighter in hand and with a swift response.  This taper is closer to the old brown Scott rods from the 80's, and perhaps also the Steffen rods.  I have to admit I prefer this new design.  This rod is the 7'4'', 4wt, and was completed in Fine Tackle Signature style with blued hardware and a 5.5'' straight Ritz grip.  If you are looking for a sweet dry fly rod, this is a great option."




Christian wrote...  " I know that many fiberglass lovers prefer contemporary glass thanks to the vivid color scheme from many manufacturers.  Personally, I prefer more dull and neutral colors on my own rods, with one exception.  I have always loved green rods.  The fresh green color reminds me of the mayfly season at my creek, with banks of soft grass and newly sprung leaves in the birch trees. Here comes a recent build on the Epic 580-4 blank, with a classic look and conservative appointments.  Nickel silver skeleton over spalted beech wood, full wells grip and SB Originals wrapped in green Gossamer silk.  This rod will travel to Gimån tomorrow to be baptized by its new owner.  May the green color shine... "




Christian wrote...  "This rod has been on my work bench for quite some time.  Initially designed as a spinning rod, my customer asked me to convert it to a short fly rod.  This 5'9'' blank comes from the early production years of Sage, when they also made fiberglass rods.  I have a soft spot for the old brown Sage rods, and have handled several of them over the years.  But this little midge rod stands out as something truly unique, and I'm very happy with the outcome.  The rod was finished with an offset cork seat with aluminum skeleton, and a 5.5'' straight Ritz.  Light snake guides and chestnut silk with NCP beige tippings, very close to the original color scheme.

I have been promised to be first in line if this rod should sell in the future.  It would go so well together with my original, brown Sage wading staff in fiberglass."



Visit the Fine Tackle website to enjoy more of Chris Hörgren's work and follow along with the latest shop news on Facebook and Instagram.

1 comment:

Shanklao Hanpad said...

Really informative post, thanks for sharing. Spinning rods are probably the most mismatched rod that I have seen. Anglers are constantly confused as to how to properly hold the rod, as well as which way to attach the reel. To make it clear, a spinning rod is a fishing rod with guides that get bigger in diameter as they approach the reel. Spinning rods should be held with the guides hanging below the rod, towards the ground. The reel should also hang below the rod, and if right handed, the handle should be on the left side of the reel. The guides of this type of rod are bigger near the reel due to the way line unravels from a spinning reel.spinning combos