Monday, January 11, 2021

Happy Birthday, Lincoln Westby

Last week, Lincoln Westby, a.k.a. "The Permit Master", turned 80-years-old and if I was a betting man, he probably spent it on the water or playing dominoes with his neighborhood friends in Hopkins.
 
I met Lincoln several years ago on my first trip to Belize where I spent a couple days on the front of his panga taking in his careful instruction, laughing at his stories, and just being nothing but impressed with him as a person and guide.  Since those first days, I've spent time with him on nearly every trip back to Belize and always cherished the experience.  Lincoln is an icon and for good reason that extends beyond his knowledge of fly fishing for permit.

I thought it would be fun to bring back a couple past T.F.M. posts to celebrate his birthday milestone.  I don't always try to promote my writing but as things go, these two articles are pretty good. 
 

 
Lincoln's island, Blue Horizon Lodge, has reopened and I'd sure like to get down there to fish those "Permit Alley" flats with him again soon.

No comments: