Saturday, March 6, 2010

The F3T Experience

I took Thursday afternoon off and went down to Charleston, South Carolina to meet up with Marc Crapo, Jay Johnson, and Thad Robison of the Fly Fishing Film Tour (F3T). I had a great time getting to know them and see what it takes to make the tour tick. Look for an upcoming interview once I work my way through the notes and digital recorder.

The Fly Fishing Film Tour was really quite an experience. The venue was sold out and 250 expectant fly anglers crowded the halls of the theater with beers in hand waiting for tickets to be stamped and the show to start.

I had pretty high expectations for the film line up and for the most part was not disappointed. Being that Charleston is coastal the films with the biggest crowd response involved redfish, snook, tarpon, and permit. I particularity enjoyed the pieces from AEG, Beattie Outdoor Productions, and Confluence Films.

Carolina Reds, which was shot in and around Charleston, was a crowd favorite and with Mike Benson, Chad Fuller, and Brooks Oswald sitting in the front rows it was neat to hear their friends and family giving them a hard time about being on the big screen. I really liked Carolina Reds and it got me thinking that I need to get back in the grass looking for tails.

The Fly Fishing Film Tour was definitely worth the ticket price and anytime this many anglers are in one place you know new friendships and connections are made. Look for the Charleston venue to be larger next year since this year it sold out over a week before the show.

I came two hours home that night with a copy of AEG's Metalhead, a couple F3T Buff's, and the urge to get on some water soon.

No comments: