Saturday, October 23, 2010

T.F.M. Spotting - P.M. Kings On Glass

Steve Bacon and his father-in-law Joe took a recent trip to the Pere Marquette for a couple days of guided fly fishing for chinooks which have pushed into the river.  Steve sent some great copy along with the T.F.M. Spotting photographs of their couple days on the water.


"We have used Indigo Guides for years.  This year Joe and I got paired with a new guide, Matt.  I was wearing my Fiberglass Manifesto t-shirt, but it was under a fleece jacket 'cause it was pretty cold at 6:00 a.m. when we got picked up.  I generally listen to my guide, figuring he knows more than I do, but I asked Matt if he minded if I fished with my 8' nine weight Steffen Brothers glass rod.  Matt rigged it up and seemed politely curious.  Most guides are politely curious when I mention using a glass rod."

"A bit into the morning, after a few fish, it was warmer and I took off the jacket.  Matt looks up and says something like, "Hey I read that Blog!!" and asks if I know Cam.  I said not personally, but had e-mailed you a couple of times.  He said he exchanged e-mails with you and asked if I had read his blog, fishbeer.  He points to a sticker with a fish and a glass and fishbeer.com written on it.  Matt also does the Third Coast Fly blog. It was pretty cool to spend the day with someone who was interested in glass and knew about the Manifesto, B.W.T.F.Fishing Jones, Singlebarbed, etc.  Matt was a great guide, hilarious, and a lot of fun.  Of course all trips are better when you get into gobs of fish."


"We hooked up with a mess of King Salmon, fair hooking and landing quite a few.  Matt was quick to mention that we needed to get a picture for T.F.M. Spotting purposes.  It was a great couple of days.  I know you get up to Michigan once in awhile.  You really should try the salmon run sometime, the fish can be huge and powerful and the Pere Marquette is as pretty a river as I have ever been on.  The nine weight Steffen was bending in the middle of the cork.  It was awesome.  I hope to get back up for some mousing for browns, which Matt says is amazing in late summer.

Matt tried the Steffen glass rod a little bit and seemed to like it.  It was lighter than he expected.  Who knows it may be a first step on the road to glass conversion."

Damn...I miss living in Michigan during the fall

2 comments:

Matt Smythe said...

Looks like a great trip...and a small world, too. Thanks for posting.

Matt

Matthew D Dunn said...

Kings on glass. Sounds like drug slang. Awesome.