Thursday, March 10, 2011

One In The Inbox. One In The Mailbox.

Two magazines arrived this week with one in the email inbox and the other in the mailbox.  Both are worth spending some time with reading. 

ANGLING TRADE
Each issue of Angling Trade is a tome of information on the business side of fly fishing.  I have been really impressed with editor Kirk Deeter's overall voice in the magazine as he asks some very tough questions about the direction of the fly fishing industry and what it's going to take to make it better for everyone involved.  Kirk has a way of pointing fingers but not starting fights which is a carefully learned skill.


I owe a lot of gratitude to Angling Trade since I received my first issue of about the time Kevin and I were putting Fishy Kid together and because of a well done list of exhibitors at the Fly Fishing Retailer show that were listed in the magazine I was able to skip past the receptionists of many of the gear companies that we wanted involved with our website and reach out to those that make the decisions on sponsorships and gear donations.  We launched Fishy Kid with a couple dozen excellent sponsors and have the knowledge provided in Angling Trade largely to thank.

Angling Trade is free to subscribe to for a print copy or each issue can be viewed online as well.

THE DRAKE
Though it is always a bit of a mystery when you'll be able to find your copy of the The Drake at a favorite fly shop or bookstore...or even when it will arrive mixed in with your mail.  It is revered much like manna from the sky when it finally does show up and I have to catch myself that I don't read it cover to cover all in one sitting.


Tom Bie and the editorial team of The Drake put together a magazine that is a departure from anything else that is out there and it is a fly fishing cult favorite the world over.

1 comment:

rm said...

i hear that, even though i subscribe to the drake, i usually end up buying it because i see it in my local shop weeks before i get it in the mail. sucks for me but my friends love my impatience.