Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Tie-One-On-Athon Event

This past Sunday I took the afternoon and spent it at the Tie-One-On-Athon which was put organized by the soon coming digital magazine Southern Culture On The Fly to benefit Project Healing Waters.

The fly tying event was held in Steven Seinberg's second floor studio in downtown Asheville.  Besides being a full time artist, Steven is also one part of the S.C.O.F. design and brain trust.  I spent a lot of time talking with Steven Seinberg and David Grossman of S.C.O.F. and am interested to see the direction and content of their magazine.


Created with flickr slideshow.

Over the course of the afternoon I had a great time meeting each of the tiers, taking photos, and enjoying some tasty barbecue and brews.  The talented fly tiers were from local fly shops, guides, and fish bums tying flies with names like "The Grimace", "Blue Poison Tongue", the "Tampon Twitch Fly", "Rainbow Warrior", and the "Dryer Sheet Caddis".

I sat down with Ryan Harman of the Asheville Chapter of Project Healing Waters and he versed me on the organization and how they are addressing the physical and mental issues that soldiers and veterans experience through fly fishing and fly tying.  I found it most interesting that Project Healing Waters is primarily funded by donations from individuals, businesses, and then events such as the Tie-One-On-Athon.

The Tie-One-On-Athon was a neat event and well worth the three hour drive up to Asheville to attend.  I am looking forward to seeing this fundraiser grow in the coming years and am already planning on being there again.  Next year I plan on bringing along my own vise and materials along to contribute a dozen or so flies to the cause.

4 comments:

middlemac said...

Excellent and extensive slideshow. Thanks for taking us along.

Cameron Mortenson said...

middlemac...thanks for the comment. Wish you could have made it. The barbecue and beer were excellent.

Sprinkle said...

Cool slideshow. I enjoyed meeting you. Looking forward to next year.

Dustin's Fly Box said...

Project healing waters is a GREAT organization!! I like your blog and started following