Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Reel For Rick Porcello

Chris Reister of Willow Classic Reels has been telling me about some of the custom fly reels which his company has been creating and it's fitting to share this story with the start of another baseball season.

Christ wrote...  "A couple of years ago, I met Zack Porcello at the Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, New Jersey.  He is a guide in his home state and they fish a lot at their summer place up in Vermont.  We got to talking and he told me he had brother who lived in Detroit. I had no idea who it was, but being up for fishing with anyone, anytime, I told Zack to have him give me a call.  If I had the time, I’d take him out and show him some new water."


"Long story short, I got a call one afternoon and the voice on the other end was none other than Rick Porcello, starting pitcher for the Detroit Tigers!  “Hey, my brother Zack said you might want to go fishing sometime…I have tomorrow off, you want to go?”  My obvious response was “Let me check with the boss to see what’s up tomorrow”.   So I picked up the phone and called my wife…“Honey, I’m gonna be sick tomorrow and I’m going fishing, that okay by you?  The rest is history and Rick put on a clinic on the Au Sable, just like he does on the hill at Comerica Park.  We have since fished together many times and keep in touch throughout the year."


"Rick was kind enough to meet my son Leyton and donate a signed jersey for his hockey teams fund raiser.  I thought we could return the favor and we made him a little reel that turned out pretty good.  This is just an example of what Willow Classic Reels can do in creating special and one of a kind fly reels.

Good luck this year to the Detroit Tigers and Rick Porcello, who by the way pitched a great game yesterday."


 Check out the Willow Classic Reels website to see the one of a kind fly reels which they offer.

No comments: