Friday, September 14, 2012

Devin's First Experience With Glass

Devin Angleberger of Devin's Fishing Reports sent this dispatch along for this Friday's Eagle Claw Featherlight Double Feature of his first trip with his recently purchased yellow stick.


Devin wrote...  "I headed to Beaver Creek in mid-Maryland, a popular limestone spring creek that stays around 58 degrees year round which makes for excellent fly fishing.  The stream is a wild brown trout stream that has quite a few wild rainbows along with stocked rainbows that get dumped in upstream.  The terrestrial action is fantastic here in the summer, so I started with a Letort Hopper.  I rigged it up on the yellow Eagle Claw Featherlight and I was off fishing.  The first thing I noticed was the slow action and it just kind of felt a little weird.  I guess I have gotten used to the T.F.O.'s fast action line-up.  I shortly got adjusted and was able to land the fly in the pockets and even landed some fish. The rod handled the fish well and even steered a nice thirteen inch brown from a root system."

"After landing a couple fish in the public section, I gained access to a private section of water by the landowner.  The fish here are big, and plentiful.  I managed a couple fish on streamers, and the big one of the day, a hefty nineteen inch wild rainbow on a modified San Juan Worm that I tie.  After a long fight on the five weight glass, the fish came to hand.  I was very pleased with it's performance and casting, and it's versatility; from casting small hoppers to large streamers.  And definitely for 18 bucks or so, you can't beat it for the price!"

Check out Devin's Fishing Report for more on this trip and others in and around Maryland.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Another convert... you might have to start a religion, you know...

Cameron Mortenson said...

upacreek333...indeed another convert though I'd be a poor religious leader. HA...