Friday, March 15, 2013

24 Hours In Ohio

Last Thursday morning I began my "Midwest Tour" and pointed the Honda Element north arriving at Columbus, Ohio in time to hang out at the Fly Fishing Film Tour for the night.  I poked my head in on the films a couple times but my night was made spending some time out where the tables were set up socializing over a couple brews.

It was really good to meet rod builder Zeb Tonkavich of Snowman Custom Rod Works and artist Andrea Larko.  They are both working on some very neat projects and it's cool to see how they are collaborating with each other as well.  The usual Ohio suspects were in attendance with Mike Schmidt of Angler's Choice Flies, Dave Hosler of Pile Cast, and Justin Keene from Stream 2 Stream, the boys from Steelhead Alley Outfitters, and of course Michael Decoteau from RedSpotFly.





I spent the night at in a spare bedroom at Michael Decoteau's house and it was really neat to see his fly tying studio.  A lot of ideas and excellence is at work there.

After just a couple hours sleep, Michael and I headed to "Steelhead Alley" and spent the better part of the day looking for a willing fish to take a fly. 






We hit the Grand River and Chagrin River and finally, right before I needed to head over to Michigan, were able to get a tug from a bright hen.  My day was made.

Oh  yeah, Mr. RedSpotFly makes a damn good sandwich too.  Thanks again for your hospitality. 

My twenty-four hours in Ohio were well spent and with a steelhead caught it was time to head to the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo for the weekend.

No comments: