Monday, October 28, 2013

Orvis Superfine Glass Wins Award

Last week Fly Fisherman posted their Best Gear Awards online with the 2014 Gear Guide issue to hit newsstands on November 19th.

A new category for this year in the Best Gear Awards was "Best Fiberglass Rod".  This award was given to the soon to be released Orvis Superfine Glass series which will be available in shops and online in January.  The rod companies in the running for this award were Cabela's, ECHO Fly Rods, Redington, Scott Fly Rod Company, Thomas & Thomas, and others. 


I had the honor to work with Fly Fisherman on the 2014 Gear Guide and I have a feature article in this issue on fiberglass fly rods which I hope that you'll read.  This was my first feature article and it was an interesting process.  I'm sure that I gave Fly Fisherman editor Ross Purnell a lot to edit in the 2,500 word article that I submitted.

If you've been reading T.F.M. lately then you know that I am really excited about the Superfine Glass series and it's been really neat to see it all come together.  Shawn Combs of Orvis took this project on several years ago and it's been fun to trade messages, cast prototypes, and for the past couple months fish final versions of these three fly rods.  Without a doubt Orvis did glass right with this soon reintroduction to their fly rod line up and I am looking forward to anglers worldwide soon having the chance these fly rods as well.

Check out the Fly Fisherman website for the full run down of staff picks on next year's gear offerings and pick up the 2014 Gear Guide later next month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you had to choose between this rod, say 3wt or redington butter stick, which would you go for? Same for 5 wt

Cameron Mortenson said...

Eunan...I would first tell you to cast them all to see what you like best. The price point of the Butter Stick saves some money but I believe the tapers of both the three and five weight Orvis fly rods are more capable. The Butter Stick three and five weights hit a wall at forty or so feet.