Thursday, February 13, 2014

Graywolf Rods - 7 Reasons To Like The Tom Morgan Rodsmiths Blanks

There are a lot of custom fly rod builders that are highlighted on this website, but I thought it would be neat to dig a little deeper with a few builders on why they enjoy working on and with the blanks that they do.

Over the last year, Shane Gray of Graywolf Rods has built over a dozen custom fly rods using the fiberglass blanks from Tom Morgan Rodsmiths.  I asked Shane to send me a list of why he likes these blanks so much and his seven reasons are listed below along with a few images of his recent builds.


1.  Although I have not cast or handled all of Tom Morgan's tapers, I really like the action and feel of his fiberglass rods that I have.
 
2.  I really like the looks of the dark burgundy sanded blank and the bright white spigot ferrule.  Classic and classy!
 
3.  I like quality and even more than just the look of the blank, Tom Morgan does not settle for any imperfections.  Custom fly rod builders always receive a perfect blank.
 
4.  I like that Tom chose a highly respected and talented rod maker and designer in Kerry Burkheimer of C.F. Burkheimer to roll his blanks.  
 
5.  I like that Tom decided to make or have made what he believes in, which in many aspects goes against what most people would create in fiberglass fly rods.
6. I like the legacy that is in each of these blanks.

7.  Tom and Gerri Morgan encourage other rod builders and their philosophy of perfection at Tom Morgan Rodsmiths pushes builders to not settle for something that is not perfect.  Tom once told me, "A customer will soon forget the time waited for a custom rod but will never forget poor quality."  I like it and I use it.










Check out the Graywolf Rods website for more information.  Follow the Graywolf Rods Blog and Facebook page for the latest shop news.

More information on the Tom Morgan Rodsmiths fiberglass blanks can be found on their website.
 

No comments: