Thursday, May 22, 2014

Fine Tackle - Inside The Process - Part 7

One of the simple, though I think wonderfully distinctive aesthetic features on several recent Fine Tackle custom built fly rods, is the use of a rubber butt plate.  Typically these rubber ends are color matched to the build and have both purpose to go along with the look.   

In this post Christian shows step by step how a thin piece of rubber is affixed to the cork of the Swift Fly Fishing Epic 580 build and in the end there is a seamless transition from the plate to cork.   


Christian wrote...  "I like plain and honest materials. I’m not a big fan of bling and decoration. Every detail should express its own function, be practical and fit the color scheme of the rod. I have used rubber on several of my latest builds. It’s cheap and I have a source that offers a wide range of colors. I treat it in the same way as I do with cork, except I use epoxy glue."







Check out the Fine Tackle website and Facebook page for the latest shop news and most recent builds.  Christian always has something interesting going on to check out.

No comments: