Thursday, November 5, 2015

A Much Needed Reprieve

I don't know about you but the pace of life has been moving a lot faster than I typically like lately and with a few hours to kill before family and friends arrived at the campsite in Pisgah National Forest, I jumped at the chance to spend some time with Dave Grossman of Southern Culture On The Fly fame and the ever talented Danny Reed of Crooked Creek Holler on the Davidson River to decompress.


Dave and I ended up farming way more trout than we actually netted and Danny putt on a (dirty) Euro nymph clinic on the both of us with his Syndicate 10' two weight.  The day was more about unwinding and catching up with each other but it was a little unnerving to keep seeing Danny's net bent double and Dave and I swearing under our breaths when we'd get a bunch and miss a hook set.  Oh well.  Time on the water on a cool fall day is tough to beat.

Click on any of the images to view in a larger resolution.












All in all it was a great morning (and into the afternoon a little bit) on the water.  I had just enough time to make a couple stops in town, thank the fellows at DRO for their help, and make it back to the Davidson River Campground a few minutes before my wife and children arrived for our weekend camping. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

as inspirational as always... thanks

Zach said...

I'm constantly stunned at your great taste in beer, I think we would get along just fine. And how the hell do you get Oskar Blues in NC? I can hardly find it in MT!?

David Knapp said...

Looks like a good way to kick off a weekend of camping. Great pictures!

Dan Mitchell said...

Zach, Oskar Blues opened a brewing and canning facility in NC awhile back. Lucky them!

Cam, thought the new Medalists weren't available yet. Is that a prototype?