Tuesday, September 27, 2022

GRAYWOLF RODS - A Pent Bamboo Spinning Rod for T.F.M. (ME!!!)

I don't know how but Shane Gray of Graywolf Rods must have been reading my mind that I've had a smothering interest in bamboo in the back of my head for some time now.  He and I were talking the other day and he mentioned that he had two Pent bamboo spinning blanks and that he was thinking of building them up.  One for him and then also one for me.  What the WHAT?!?!

I love fly rods but have been on kind of a spin fish bender the last couple of years.  It's been fun to reacquaint myself with it after decades of not doing it.

Also, I get a lot of emails and DM's asking about different blanks, line weights, and lengths that maybe fall outside the norm of what we all see day to day in the Glass Geek world and often I suggest that they reach out to Shane since he always seems to have the weird and unusual in his stash somewhere.  It's always worth asking.  These vintage Pent bamboo blanks are a good example of this.


Shane wrote...  "Here's what I know about this spinning rod which is kind of limited since I picked up the blank with a bundle of others and just can't recall all the information.

The blank is a 6' 2-piece Pent bamboo (5-sided) and is rated for 6 to 10 pounds.  This vintage blank, along with several others, were picked up "In the String" meaning the blanks had been tapered and glued but the binding string was still on the blanks.

I sent these blanks along with a handful of others to Phil Terrano at Hudson Valley Rod Co. and he unstrung the blanks, sanded, cleaned, cut to length, and ferruled them.  He added a few coats of finish then sent them back to me.  I added the flor grade cork rings, a nice spinning reel seat and wrapped the Fuji K guides with antique gold silk, with a bit of black and gold at the cork check and ferrules.

This rod has plenty of power, should serve you well, and will last a lifetime."






This spinning rod should be arriving on my doorstep soon and I am stoked as it'll be perfect for the largemouth bass in our family pond.  There's still time to use it this fall before things kinda turn off.

Check out the Graywolf Rods website, the For Sale page is stacked, and catch the latest shop news on Facebook and Instagram.

No comments: