Friday, December 2, 2022

C. BARCLAY FLY ROD CO. - On Slowing Down

Two takes here on Chris Barclay of C. Barclay Fly Rod Co.  First, it's tough to hear that he's taking a deliberate pause from rod building but I get it.  And second, I think our music choices are quite sympatico.
 
You can press play on this video if you'd like to listen to the song Chris references while you read what he wrote below.  It's one of my favorite John Prine songs.
 

Chris on the C. Barclay Fly Rod Co. Facebook page... 

"Hello everyone!  I hope y’all are doing well.  We just celebrated Thanksgiving here in the U.S, and I have to say that it’s top of the heap for being one of my favorite holidays.  I heard recently that having feelings of gratitude will actually change your brain chemistry and that it’s physiologically impossible to be anxious and grateful at the same time.  Pretty cool to have a holiday that helps us have some gratitude and clear our heads a bit.  The food part is pretty good too!

Last weekend I went to go see Todd Snider play a show locally.  It was fantastic.  Arlo McKinley opened for him and played an incredible version of one of my favorite John Prine songs, ‘How Lucky’.  I think Mr. Prine had a deep sense of humor and gratitude.

I’m going to be slowing rod building operations down over the next several-ish months to only work through my backlog of orders and selling blanks.  On a personal level, the past few years have been tremendously difficult and I need a bit of a sabbatical from building rods for a little while once I get my backlog finished. I’m happy to answer questions but please know that I might be a little slow to respond.

I wanted to say here how genuinely grateful I am for all the support y’all have given over the years.  This weird little fly fishing community is a really good place.  I’m a pretty lucky guy to be able to build rods to help some great people enjoy the funny little sport we call fly fishing.  It’s humbling and an honor.

Thank you all!"
 
Chris, take all the time you need and I hope to see you back at it soon.

No comments: