Wednesday, December 7, 2022

TOM'S TIPS - How to Care for Your Fly Line

The fall and the winter months are always a good time to reassess your fly fishing gear, organize fly boxes, clean and patch waders, and strip off fly lines to give them a good cleaning before loading them back on the fly reel or better yet, putting them back on the spool for storage.  OCD me likes nothing more than to have fly lines boxes and on the spool since it's just the easiest way to keep track of them when prepping for the next trip. 

I would also add that nothing will help fix casting issues more than giving your fly line a quick cleaning when on a trip.  If I've had a frustrating session at the front of the boat, I'm likely to take a rest and strip off the fly line I've been casting to give it a quick cleaning.  

At least then I can't blame blown casts on a gummy fly line...   

See more on the Orvis YouTube channel and check out the latest gear on the Orvis website.

No comments: