Thursday, April 6, 2023

Monday at the Masters

It's been a whirlwind of a few days here with Finn playing in school golf matches and tournaments late last week, my aunt flying in from California, my dad driving down from Michigan, golfing together through the weekend, and then spending Monday at Augusta National Golf Club for Monday at the Masters.  We followed that with another day of golf up on Clemson before my dad and aunt headed to Michigan.  I'm back at work for a couple of days catching my breath.  It's been a fun few days.

We've been playing the Masters ticket lottery for a few years now and by luck, my dad was picked for four tickets for Monday.  Of course, we had quite a day.  I don't think I'll ever forget Finn's smile as we walked in the gates and onto the grounds of Augusta National Golf Club.  It's a special place and sharing it with my golf geek dad, aunt, and son made it that much more special.     


I snapped a few photographs but this day was really more about taking it all in.  The course and grounds were in immaculate shape.  Everything is green.  Everything is in it's place.  And, a huge takeaway from being there as a patron on Monday and now watching the rest of the week on a screen, they make the experience as near to perfection as absolutely possible.  Logistically, it's a lot to juggle on so many different fronts with an event that happens just once a year.

Finn and I walked almost 10 miles through the day, followed several favorite players as they worked their way around the course, were rained on a little bit, and watched as Sepp Straka aced hole 12 while we sat in the stands at Amen Corner.  A neat experience to see everyone take in and share the moment of a hole-in-one without a mobile phone in their face.  A different experience for sure.   

A note on the concessions, my hierarchy of sandwiches was Pimento Cheese, Egg Salad, and then Chicken Salad.  And, green tall cups of domestic beer over the brewed only for the Masters, Crow's Nest ale.  You sure can't beat $1.50 sandwiches and $5 cups.

On to a few snaps.  And, how the kids say it, #nofilter.  The place is just that green.
















Lastly, we didn't go too deep in with the Masters swag though we saw folks walking out with bags on top of bags full of merchandise.  I wouldn't want to see the receipt tape that.  Finn and I both bought a cap.  I went with the bucket cap.  Finn also picked up a flag and ball marker too.  Nothing too crazy bit still something to remember an unbelievable day at Augusta National Golf Club by.

No comments: