Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Let's Tell Some Montana Stories...

I guess that I've been home from a long week in Montana for almost a month now and just now seem to be catching my breath as work has been overwhelming with a lot going on.  I'm in somewhat of a lull and figure it's time to tell some Montana stories.
 
The idea of this trip started with a couple of good friends who I used to travel and fly fish with every couple of years.  We've met up in Colorado, Wyoming, and the past several trips in Montana to spend time with Joel and Deb Thompson of Montana Troutaholic Outfitters.  For all the usual reasons of work, conflicting schedules, and then the seemingly never ending pandemic, we hadn't met up in way too many years.  None of us are getting any younger (or less busy) and we finally put our calendars together to make it happen, no matter what.
 

Somehow everything aligned for an early October trip and since Mike and David couldn't take more than a handful of days, I figured I'd fly out to Missoula early and then drive over to Bozeman to do some "T.F.M. business" for a few days. 

I crashed at Rich and Missy's house (THANK YOU!), spent a day in the shop and on the water with Dusty at Livingston Rod Company, celebrated Rich's birthday with a couple dinners out in downtown Bozeman, a day with Tom and Alexis of 406 Fly Lines on Nelson's Spring Creek, and then shop visits at SKWALA, Tom Morgan Rodsmiths, and Bozeman Reel Company.  I didn't get to see everyone who I wanted to but I needed to get back to Missoula since my buddies were flying in.  We had a few days on the water planned on the Bitterroot River, some ranch water, and the Clark Fork River.  Good times were had and really appreciate the Joel and Deb hosting us at the house.  Hopefully, we didn't overstay our welcome...

All in all, I came home with over 1,000 images on my camera (instead of my iPhone) and a dozen different stories to tell on T.F.M. in the coming days.  These posts will be a mix of river reports, shop visits, gear reviews, and more.  It's been awhile since I've had a trip like this and it was a lot of fun.  I could stand to do some more of it in the coming year since it really gets me excited about fly fishing, fiberglass fly rods, and of course, valuable time with friends who I don't get to see often enough.

No comments: