Wednesday, March 6, 2024

ONLY BIRD ART - Geometric Shapes, Observation and Minimalism

I'm a lifelong "Bird Nerd" and when I came across Only Bird Art on Instagram, it was an immediate follow.  I reached out to Tom Bates to see if he'd share his art and his background where the idea for this project came from.  Slow scroll and enjoy...


From Only Bird Art...
"My name is Tom Bates. I'm an artist and graphic designer from Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

The bird art started in 2020 after a self-initiated creative exercise. The goal was to illustrate using only geometric shapes. It was an exercise in observation and minimalism. I chose birds as a subject because of the wild variety of shapes, colors and patterns, and so the subject had a lot of longevity.

It started with three birds; a ring-necked pheasant, a loon, and a goldfinch. It garnered some fans right away and since then, the art has been featured in several art shows. The bird art has also been available in my Etsy shop for over a year now!

Despite not being an avid hunter, I have a strong appreciation for hunting culture and conservation. My backyard is full of birds and it has led me to embrace the joy of bird watching.

At its core, "Bird inspired art that resonates" is the brand essence. My hope is that people find delight and value in the art that is unique to them. I've been fortunate enough to have a handful of licensing agreements with some conservation organizations, contributing the support of conservation funding. It's exciting that this creative exercise has been a small helpful tool for conservation efforts. This all started from a place of fun, everything else has been a nice bonus!"













Follow Only Bird Art on Instagram and pick up a print (or several) on the Only Bird Art Etsy page.

No comments: