Monday, February 22, 2010

Soft Hackle Fly Swap

I spent part of yesterday at the vise completing eighteen soft hackles for a fly swap on the Fiberglass Flyrodders board which was organized by Corey Layton, aka corlay.

It was really enjoyable way to kill a couple hours and a reminder that soft hackles are some of my favorite flies to tie

RECIPE:
Hook - Size 14 Tiemco 206BL
Thread - Uni 8/0 Black
Body - Olive Midge Size Vinyl Rib
Thorax - Natural Brown Hare's Ear
Hackle - Partidge

This was the first time I've used the Tiemco 206BL hooks and I am very impressed. Sharp points and wide gap is a match for soft hackles flies.

I started using vinyl rib for the bodies of my soft hackles since I like the look and they are much more durable than floss bodies.

With two flies from ten different tiers I should be receiving back a neat set of soft hackles to use this spring.

5 comments:

Neil said...

I really like that pattern! I suspect I shall be tying up a few copies very soon :-)

Great blog.

Cameron Mortenson said...

Neil...thanks for the comments on the flies and the blog. I think you'll really like to add a few of these soft hackles to your fly boxes. The vinyl rib is very durable.

Neil said...

Cheers Cameron, I've tied a few flies with vinyl rib but not thought of trying it on a Spider

[IMG]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/Plot36/IMGP2856.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/Plot36/paral.jpg[/IMG]

Flyinthesouth said...

Those look great man- soft hackles are some of my favorite flies to tie and fish- mine don't look as good as yours though!

Cameron Mortenson said...

Jason...thanks for the kind words. I like to tie and fish soft hackles a lot too.