Wednesday, November 3, 2021

ORVIS FLY FISHING - CFO III 50th Anniversary Reel

UPDATE - As expected, within about 24 hours the limited edition run of CFO III 50th Anniversary Reels sold out. Check with your local Orvis dealer to see if they have any headed their way.

This past summer, on my way home from Michigan, I took an out of the way detour over to Manchester, Vermont for a few days to see a few friends at Orvis.  We spent some time at the rod factory and while there went into a large but mostly empty room with a folding table in the corner that was covered with fly reels.  Below it were cardboard boxes full of more fly reels.  There were families and generations of fly reel series, small trout reels, large saltwater wheels, more than a few oddities, but what caught my eye were the many iterations of the CFO.  On one side of the table was a history lesson of these fly reels with old beat up "Made in England" models of all sizes in anodized grey, silver, and dark green, to the more recent "Made in USA" models.  I would have been happy to take them all home with me along with a few extra spools...   
 
The CFO fly reels have been offline for several years as Orvis has been working on a new "Made in USA" model and are celebrating the 50th anniversary by offering a gold anodized CFO III that only 165 fly reels will be made.  Bar-stock aluminum, hand numbered, and housed in a premium Gokey made leather case.  

The click and pawl sound you might ask?  I know for a fact that Tom Rosenbauer spent way too much time making sure the "growl" is the absolute perfect pitch.  I've handled one, heard it myself, and it is. 
 
 
The Story...

"To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the timeless, ventilated-port design first patented by Charles Fredrick Orvis in 1874 and brought back to life by Stan Bogdan in 1971, we’re offering a limited run of our legendary C.F.O. III reel. An exact replica of the original, only 165 50th-anniversary models have been created, each in a handsome gold color with silver accents. Every reel is hand-numbered for your records, thus proving how rare this highly collectible design stands to be. We do not expect inventory to last long. Machined out of 6061 bar-stock aluminum with type 2 anodizing to the same exacting tolerance as the timeless original. Featuring an easy conversion from left- to right-hand retrieve and a strong check with that unmistakable click-and-pawl growl, the reel looks fantastic on display and extremely tempting to actually fish.  Handmade in USA."
 
 
If you need a Orvis CFO III 50th Anniversary Reel in your life, don't delay as I'd be surprised if this limited edition offering lasts the day.

4 comments:

Jason Klass said...

I own 3 CFOs with extra spools. They're my favorite trout reel but I prefer the gray color. I never liked the green, gold, or silver finishes they've come out with over the years. The grey is unassumingly classic.

Unknown said...

I ordered one for my 8055 Kenney, gonna match the gold accents nicely. Pretty sure they already sold out? Not seeing them on the website anymore?

Cameron Mortenson said...

JK... I agree. I tend to like the gray color as well. Standby for new CFO's maybe later this year...

Unknown... Did you find one? They very quickly sold out but maybe your local Orvis dealer has one?

Unknown said...

Paul from Australia. Melted as soon as I saw it..bought it same day. All my fishing reels are made in u.s.a , from orvis to penn to avet and fin nor..all original 💪